Dissidia Ortus a Cado
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Favourite games/game series

+7
zeroflamecutter
XanZerstorer
Jeryl the Shadow
Syaoran
DEKMStephens
Mrdude22
The Silver Dragoon
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Favourite games/game series Empty Favourite games/game series

Post  The Silver Dragoon Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:56 pm

Hey, all.

Since we're gonna be spending time working together on this project, I think it might be nice to know each other a little better. First off is a topic that's close to our hearts; Video Games! Obviously you guys like 'em if you're here, so what kinds do you like? Remember, this is a POSITIVE topic, I care about what you LIKE, not what you DISLIKE.

Starting from Final Fantasy itself, my favourite game in the series is V. I'm generally a fan of the first six (heck, I even like II), but I like some of the later games as well (IX in particular), and I don't hate any main games in the series... and of course I like Dissidia!

As far as other game series go, I am a huge Nintendo fan and love most of the major series, especially Mario and Zelda (if the fact that my username on GFAQs is 'The Hero of Time' wasn't a big enough hint). I also like series such as Donkey Kong Country, Kirby, Fire Emblem, and the three Super Smash Bros games.

I am also a fan of the Dragon Quest series, and my favourite one coincidentally is also V! I also like Mega Man, Disgaea, Ace Attorney, Professor Layton, Metal Gear, and recently Ys... and a lot more, but that's what I can remember at the moment.

For individual games, I like Seiken Densetsu III (on my top 5 all-time favourite game list), Skies of Arcadia, Earthbound, Lufia II, and certain games in the Tales series. That's just off the top of my head.

Anyways, how about you? Do we have lots of fans of certain games other than FF here?
The Silver Dragoon
The Silver Dragoon
Lord of the Lance

Back to top Go down

Favourite games/game series Empty Re: Favourite games/game series

Post  Mrdude22 Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:03 pm

While Final Fantasy DOES take the cake for favorite game series I'll just go over the others I like in no real order

Kingdom Hearts-I just really enjoy these games...except those cheesy cutscenes with the bad jokes...those. Still don't want A KH character in Dissidia though...the ALT is fine but Sora would seem REALLY out of place compared to...Kefka,Exdeath,Ultimecia ETC.

Megaman- Though I suck at these games at a whole new level I really like....In fact I only recently beat 2 of them in the last month (3 and 4) but I seem to enjoy dying a lot

Kirby- Not as much as before but I still enjoy it (the reason my youtube is Epic Kirby cause I was really into it when I made the youtube) not much to say here

Mario- ...kinda obvious

I haven't played any games like Call of Duty or Halo (which annoys me because people at my school those are all the games they talk about...well except my band class..we had a contest to see who can play the FF Fanfare better...I think I won only because I knew how the play the part after the beginning fanfare (you know the one in every game) on piano)
Mrdude22
Mrdude22
Exclusive Expedience

https://dissidiaortusacado.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  DEKMStephens Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:14 pm

I don't even know anymore. Other game developers have either gotten lazy, or don't make games I like anymore, so KH and FF is what I really have I guess
DEKMStephens
DEKMStephens
Super Mace Wielding Lightning Warrior!

Back to top Go down

Post  Syaoran Fri Feb 11, 2011 6:59 pm

Well, the very first Final Fantasy I played, was 7, but the first one I owned, was 9, after that, I made it my mission to get them all. So far, my favorite is still 7, but I love them all as individuals.

As far as series (final fantasy not included), I'd have to say, Pokemon and Sonic, though I also like Soul Calibur (not sure if I spelled that right, I never can). I used to like megaman and such, but I've sorta grew out of them, and Kingdom Hearts is more like a minor interest, as well as Fire Emblem.

I've played Drakengard, but I only have the 2nd one now, which upsets me.

Only other game I play is Guild Wars, and I play that daily.
Syaoran
Syaoran
Dimension Traveler

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeryl the Shadow Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:02 pm

Well, I suppose I'll begin with my favorite games of all time.

My absolute favorite game, bar none, is Legend of Dragoon. I really don't even know why it's my favorite game, but it just stuck with me like no other game before and after it. It helps that the battle system was innovative, especially for it's time. I also enjoyed the story, and Lloyd is still one of my favorite game characters of all time. It also had some plot twists that I just didn't see coming. The one at the end of Disk 3 was particularly surprising. If the game developer EVER makes a sequel on a system I do not own (like the PS3), then I will buy that system, just for this game. This is the only game I can say that about, and it sounds kinda idiotic to say, but it's true. That's how much I love that game.

My second favorite game is a fairly recent game called Lost Odyssey. This game is, bar none, the most emotional RPG I've played. The Thousand of Dreams is superbly well done. I could talk about it for pages, but I won't. The story in itself had it's emotional points, and honestly, I just really really liked the story telling. I can't really describe it beyond that. Beyond the amazing (to me) story, it had a few interesting systems (mainly Skill Link), that was decently interesting to me.

My third favorite game is actually a tie. However, since I'm going to be talking about one of them in my favorite series spiel later in my post, I'll go with Mass Effect 2. If you haven't noticed, I tend to enjoy games with large amounts of story, though I do make a few exceptions. What really struck me about Mass Effect 2 was the believability of the relationships between the characters. For that matter, the dialogue period was very well done. I also enjoyed the large amounts of choice that the game gives you. Beyond that, the gameplay mix between shooter and RPG was very well done, and unlike the first, there was little tedium to me overall.

Now for game series. Let's start with the obvious...Final Fantasy. Final Fantasy has always been my favorite series, and it's dated back for a while. Of them, I'm really tied in which game is my favorite, as I actually have three favorite games: VI, IX, and....XIII. Yes I enjoyed 13. I enjoyed 13 a LOT. I also like the KH series, but I'm not gonna talk about it very much.

I'm also a fan of the Persona series (though I've only played P3P and P4). These games are amazing. The story, setting, and characters are all very interesting to me. The fact that it's a combination Turn Based RPG, Dungeon Crawler, and...DATING SIMULATION is interesting enough, but I don't think that very many people have gotten the characterization down like these guys have. I don't know what else to say. I'm hooked.

Devil May Cry is another series I like, and unlike the other entries, the story isn't all that great. However, I still love this series. I guess it appeals to the part of me that loves over the top action and corny one liners. I dunno. Devil May Cry 3, in particular, is just over the top craziness.

Mario, Castlevania, Zelda...I need say no more

Valkyrie Profile is one of the few game series to use my absolute favorite subject: Norse Mythology. Furthermore,they use it well. It also helps that my favorite villain EVER (Lezard Valeth) comes from the series.

This next series is probably gonna get you to look at me like I'm crazy for playing them: Touhou. Yes, I love Touhou. It is strangely addicting to get through waves of enemies that swarm the screen with projectiles as a maid that can control time, among other characters. The music also helps.

Disgaea....The Disgaea series is my favorite Tactical RPG series, tying only with FFT, FFTA, and FFTA2. Yes, I did say tying. This is the only game series I know of that you can literally level to 9999, go back to level 1 with lots of stat boosts, then repeat the process again and again...and you get to do damage in the BILLIONs. Also, the fact that the story is very funny also helps.

Finally, the Tales series. I may not be able to play many of them, but it seems to me like they just keep getting better and better. This may be blasphemy, but I liked TotA and ToV better than ToS. However, I really enjoyed ALL of the Tales games I've played. They've got an interesting battle system, and interesting characters. Jade and Yuri stand out amidst the rest of the cast though. Yuri can even pull off an Omnislash variant!

Notable mentions: I also like Drakengard 2, Nier, Dragon Age, and the MvC series. And No More Heroes. I'm probably forgetting a few.

I realize that I said similar things to most of the games/series here, but meh.
Jeryl the Shadow
Jeryl the Shadow
Counterfeit Continuance

Back to top Go down

Post  XanZerstorer Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:29 pm

Nice, another Guild Wars player! I'm on daily as well, though if there's no one online in guild, and no groups forming for FOWSC in TOA, I'll generally log back off and come later on. I'm a heavy FOWSC player... it's nearly everything I do these days. Been playing for 5 years and a half, and I intend to move on to GW2, along with my guild (a friend and I started HiDE like... back in 2007. I've known the dude since 2006, so we're pretty tight.) Thankfully, HiDE is made of pure awesome and win, else I absolutely hate the community in general. Our alliance is pretty awesome too.

My fav game ever has to be FFIV. It's the first FF I've played, I was 9 or something, and my English wasn't all that great. I got most of the story down, but I was pretty sure Kain and Cecil were a couple. Yeah, the deception when I gew up and my English got better >_>. That's the only thing which annoys me in FFIV. I love the lore, I love the characters, and I'm a nostalgic guy.

Legend of Dragoon was an awesome game as well; I grinded my ass off on this game... most of my chars were like 46-48 at the end. There is no other character I've hated more in my entire gaming life than Shanna... other than her, I've loved this game. My problem now is replaying it - I hit Hellena and go "aw hell no, not Shanna..." and stop playing after =_=. (Yeah, that's not even a hour in the game.)

As for series, I'm a big Legend of Zelda guy. I never owned a N64, but when I found OoT+Master Quest on the Cube some odd years back, I giggled for hours on end >_>. I like the Mario series, Sonic, Chrono Trigger/Cross, Pokemon (can't wait for March 6th), Diablo (COME ON ALREADY, BLIZZARD!!!) and StarCraft. Dragon Quest too, though I've only played a handful (the original on NES, VII, VIII), and Tekken. Now I just need a current gen console other than the Wii, and I'm gonna be a happy gamer for a while.
XanZerstorer
XanZerstorer
Homo Slice

Back to top Go down

Post  zeroflamecutter Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:38 pm

I'll put how I feel the FF's rank.
Tactic's> IX = VII> IV> X> II> VIII> I> XII> XIII> VI> V> III

I have to agree with Jeryl. Legend of Dragoon is beyond amazing, and it ties as my favorite game of all time. The critics may not have recieved it as well as it honestly deserved, but that in no way changes it's greatness. It had an amazing plot, extremely likeable and/or cool characters, and the combat system was and still is pretty original and amazing. Lavitz and Llyod were my favorite characters in the game. Llyod may be a a slight rip-off of Sephiroth, but overall I think he does his role more than enough justice. He just wouldn't give up! My only gripe was the lulzy voiceacting, although it wasn't really a major part of the game.

I feel the same way as Jeryl about Lost Odyssey, as well. The plot definitly had a fair measure of soul in it, an ammount rarely seen in most games. I applaud them for taking that kind of route. Although there were a few unfair boss-fights thrown in the game (SPOILERS: Karkanas rematch, you know what i'm talking about.), overall it had an interesting battle system, too. My main gripe is the difficulty in getting the Treasure Trove achievement; it's quite a task to just get 20g for it.

Besides FF, my favorite game series is Kingdom Hearts's. Ever since i've been young i've been fascinated by that series. I remember seeing commercials for the original KH and remember wanting it VERY badly. I didn't have a PS2 at the time, so I didn't get it. A few years down the line, and COM comes out, can you guess what I did, since I had a GBA? I bought it as soon as possible. I loved it while I was playing through, and when I finally got to play Reverse/Rebirth, I became an official fan. Riku more than won me over. When I finally got a PS2 for Christmas the next year, I went to the nearest Gamestop and bought KHI. After that, it's all history.....

I like plenty of other game series, such as Metroid, Legend of Zelda, God of War, Devil May Cry, Dead Space, Gears of War, Soul Caliber, Guitar Hero, etc. but the ones listed above are my main favorites that shaped my tastes today.

zeroflamecutter
zeroflamecutter
Strong enough to break the stone

Back to top Go down

Post  DarkRPGMaster Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:45 pm

I have alot of favorites...so I'll go by series.

Shadow Hearts
Grandia
Star Ocean
Tales of
Suikoden
Parasite Eve
Final Fantasy (of course)
Resident Evil
Devil May Cry
Dynasty Warriors (and all spinoffs of it)
Ratchet & Clank
Lunar
Shin Megami Tensei (ALL OF THEM)
Xenosaga (includes Xenogears)
Silent Hill
F.E.A.R.
Dragon Quest
SaGa Frontier
Mana series
Ace Attorney series
Kingdom Hearts
Legend of Zelda
.hack
Dino Crisis
Wild Arms

and I think that's it. But as you can tell, I play many a genre of games, save for sports which I despise with a passion. <_<
DarkRPGMaster
DarkRPGMaster
The Randomness Generator

Back to top Go down

Post  Syaoran Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:55 pm

Ah yes, I remember Star Ocean, I've only played Till the End of Time, loved it, haven't played any others though, and I love .hack, anime and game, though I haven't played it in forever.
Syaoran
Syaoran
Dimension Traveler

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeryl the Shadow Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:58 pm

Star Ocean has always fascinated me, but sadly Till the End of Time screwed up.

Xenosaga...I knew I was forgetting one of my favorite series!
Grandia...I loved II, Millennia is still one of my favorite female protagonists. I never got past a certain boss in III. Sadly. Still really fun though.
Jeryl the Shadow
Jeryl the Shadow
Counterfeit Continuance

Back to top Go down

Post  DarkRPGMaster Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:59 pm

Till the End of Time was a pretty heavy departure from Star Ocean 1 and 2. You can buy Star Ocean 1 and 2 for the PSP under the names of Star Ocean: First Departure and Star Ocean: Second Evolution. It's kinda hard to go back to Till the End of Time after playing those...especially since they're nowhere near as long and pretty much most of the areas in those 2 games are optional.

EDIT: About Grandia 3, the final boss' reason for what he's doing is pretty damn stupid. And by stupid, I mean you'll listen to it and go "lolwut?" at how stupid it is.
DarkRPGMaster
DarkRPGMaster
The Randomness Generator

Back to top Go down

Post  Syaoran Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:01 pm

I do plan on buying them when I get the funds, and this year is doubtful, Guild Wars 2 (possible), Duodecim, Pokemon Black, doubtful, but hopefully Final Fantasy XIII-2, just, yea that one is highly doubtful.
Syaoran
Syaoran
Dimension Traveler

Back to top Go down

Post  DarkRPGMaster Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:02 pm

SE has already set up 3 games I'm going to get within a month of each other. Duodecim, The 3rd Birthday, and FF4: CC.
DarkRPGMaster
DarkRPGMaster
The Randomness Generator

Back to top Go down

Post  Syaoran Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:08 pm

Ah right, FFIV:CC, do plan to get that to, 3rd birthday, I was never a fan of the series, so I don't plan to get that, though I DO really want the Duodecim DLC it comes with.

I'll just wait to see if just the code can be found on Amazon like what ArenaNet did with Aion and Guild Wars. If not, I'll have to get the game and just use the code and trade in the game sadly.
Syaoran
Syaoran
Dimension Traveler

Back to top Go down

Post  Acaract Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:37 pm

Okay, looks like Dark has trumped me definitely but let's see...

RPs:
Final Fantasy
Kingdom Hearts
Valkyrie Profile
Shadow Hearts
Tales of
Ace Attorney
.Hack//G.U
Grandia
Persona
Shin Megami Tensei
Atelier Iris
does Pokemon and Digimon count?
does Yugioh count?
(just to throw those there too)

Fighters:
Street Fighter
Blazeblue
Naruto... (>_> okay kill me...)

Sports:
Only Tennis actually lol played basketball and soccer before but they're all omg hard to me >_>

Want to try:
Parasite Eve
Resident Evil
(because I tried shooters before but never got the hang of them...)
Catherine XPXPXP
Acaract
Acaract
Clairvoyant Caliginosity

Back to top Go down

Post  NegiBozu203 Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:55 pm

In terms of series, Final Fantasy of course owns all.
But honestly, I really like Kingdom Hearts. Alot of FF fans are turned off by the Disney, but thats another thing I like about it, cuz I LOVE Disney.

.Hack too, but I like the first series of games better than the second. In my opinion, Kite>Haseo.

The Legend of Heroes games on the PSP stuck with me too, but I don't really know where that series starts or if its still going anywhere.

I like Golden Sun too. I loved them on the Game Boy. The DS one was kind of weak, because it didn't really draw much from the previous games, and lack of previous game cameos made me sad. But the ending left it open for a sequel so hooray.

But when it comes to my #1 favorite single video game of all time that makes Negi who Negi is today and that I will actually bow down on my knees and will worship is....

The Legend of Dragoon

I loooooooooooooove this game! i have my original copy from way back when, I have the novel, the manga, the soundtrack, a figure(trying to track down the others), and the second it opened up for download on the Japanese PSN, I bought a card from playasia and got it.
I WUB DIS GAME~!
NegiBozu203
NegiBozu203
Angel of Light

Back to top Go down

Post  DEKMStephens Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:59 pm

Kite is 12 years old, I still find that funny :3
DEKMStephens
DEKMStephens
Super Mace Wielding Lightning Warrior!

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeryl the Shadow Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:20 pm

The Legend of Dragoon

I loooooooooooooove this game! i have my original copy from way back when, I have the novel, the manga, the soundtrack, a figure(trying to track down the others), and the second it opened up for download on the Japanese PSN, I bought a card from playasia and got it.
I WUB DIS GAME~!

.... O_O O_O O_O O_O Smile Very Happy Laughing What a Face

....You, Zero, and Xan have just become my favorite users on the site....you all are awesome.
Jeryl the Shadow
Jeryl the Shadow
Counterfeit Continuance

Back to top Go down

Post  XanZerstorer Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:21 pm

Wait, it's available on the JP PSN. Is it also available on the NA one? Else I really might have to update my PSP and get LoD lol D: I love that game.
XanZerstorer
XanZerstorer
Homo Slice

Back to top Go down

Post  Syaoran Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:23 pm

I really think it is available in the US PSN, not positive though.
Syaoran
Syaoran
Dimension Traveler

Back to top Go down

Post  XanZerstorer Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:24 pm

Must... know...

BTW Syaroan, what's your IGN on GW? Could be fun if we'd team together for... huh... something, lol. Depends on what you do in-game. x]
XanZerstorer
XanZerstorer
Homo Slice

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeryl the Shadow Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:24 pm

If it is, I will, in all likelihood, attempt to set up my PSP's internet connection and download that game. Then I will not be seen for a while as I play the hell out of that game again. My PS2 screwed up sadly, so I can't play it anymore. D: ): That is honestly one of the things that hurts me the most about my PS2 screwing up...
Jeryl the Shadow
Jeryl the Shadow
Counterfeit Continuance

Back to top Go down

Post  XanZerstorer Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:26 pm

My PS2 is screwing up, and I dearly miss LoD. I can play it, but I'm dying for handheld games right now. If it's not available for NA PSN I might as well buy a PlayAsia card or whatever, depending if it's possible for me, and so on. I have no idea how to, honestly.
XanZerstorer
XanZerstorer
Homo Slice

Back to top Go down

Post  Syaoran Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:27 pm

In game name is The Killer of Sins
Syaoran
Syaoran
Dimension Traveler

Back to top Go down

Post  The Silver Dragoon Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:28 pm

It doesn't appear to be on the NA PSN...

Funny thing is, I actually DO own the disk, but it doesn't work properly! ... I'm not sure if I still have it, but I had to quit because it wouldn't load after a certain point.
The Silver Dragoon
The Silver Dragoon
Lord of the Lance

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next